Saturday, April 2, 2011

Going to War With IRAC. Finished the Torts E&E Book (almost)

I am done with the Torts E&E except for the last chapter which is two sample exam problems.  Personally, I want to work as many exam problems as possible, but would probably like to wait until I'm a little closer to the exam to do so. 

Overall, the book wasn't that bad.  It did feel like a lot of information.  So, on the one hand, yeah, I crammed a semester's worth of material into two weeks of study.  On the other hand, during a semester, I'd be taking Torts and 4 other classes.  So, this pace isn't really that extraordinary.

Most everything was pretty straightforward.  There was very little math and it was all rudimentary arithmetic.  Most of the concepts weren't hard.  You just had to know them. 

This is something I feel I can do.  If nothing else, doing the E&E has given me a little confidence.  I would recommend this to anybody contemplating law school.  At a minimum, work through one of these books to get a flavor for the material.

At the end, there are three sections that deal with preparing for your Torts exam:  exam strategies, exam mistakes and sample essay questions.

The exam strategies talked about a method called "IRAC", which I have heard about on various forums.  The basic idea is that you identify the Issues, discuss the applicable Rule, provide some Analysis of how the facts relate to the rule and identify the likely Conclusion that your analysis provides.

To me, the R, A and C are all pretty easy.  The tough part so far has been pulling out all the relevant Issues.  It's easy to miss a detail, thinking that something is inconsequential, when instead, it's something that deserves a detailed analysis. 

Still, this was very insightful because it gave me a flavor of what law school exam questions were like.  When I start classes, I'm going to try and get as many copies of old exams as I can get my hands on.  Since in most classes, there is only one graded assignment:  the final exam, it only stands to reason that the better you are at exams, the better you'll do in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment