Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Civ Pro, Richmond, Pleading and Practice...

If you're reading this, you're in my P&P section.  I was totally lost until today when I started cramming for the practice exam tomorrow.  Seriously, I didn't have a clue as to what I needed to study.

Sat down and waded through the material and it all makes sense today.  That outline that was going around the central table in the lobby today is a little sketchy.  Use it, but double check everything. 

Still, that was a little bit inspiring because it seemed to show that the material can be learned.  It was encouraging.

As I dug into it, I was mostly reviewing all the powerpoints and comparing them to the syllabus.  Only got about halfway through.

I feel like I finally understand what's going in on the class, now.  I still have a long way to go, but for the first time, I know where to start and what I need to study.

I really couldn't care less about the practice test tomorrow.  No grade = who cares.  However, just these past few hours of cramming gave me a roadmap of what I need to do to get there on this subject.  This was the only class where I was just flat-out lost and now I feel a lot better.  




1.  If you're using the E&E, Pleading and Practice is sections III thru VI.  That's like 400 pages, though.  I'd only go through the sections I needed some more clarity on.  It also doesn't match up very well with the course outline and/or all the other outlines I see out there.  (Didn't read those pages, but did read the first part of the book on Jurisdiction and lord, it's a drag.  I'm not looking forward to Civ Pro II in 2L year.)  I guess you can always use the examples to act as practice test questions, though.  The E&Es are always good for that.

2.  Be careful on the outline that got e-mailed out today (you know who you are... if you have to ask, it wasn't you).  Found a few sections where I don't trust the rules they reference.

3.  The sections to focus on in the Themsis Law School Essentials is pp. 38 thru 92.  Honestly, this thing looked like it was taken directly from the syllabus.

4.  The part of the Kaplan 1L Edge Program to focus on is pp. 363 thru 389.  Tighter summary, but you pretty much have to know the material already for it to make sense. 

5.  As always, you can use the syllabus and match the numbers on the right to the notes/ppt downloads.  Didn't help me.  I think that's why I was so lost up until now.  However, doing this, along with checking another source or two worked great.  I only got halfway through, though.  This is pretty time-intensive.

6.  Haven't gone through Law in a Flash:  got bad reviews from some folks.  However if you want to try, use the Part II box, and get the pleading cards out of the Part I box.  (Cards 421 thru 493).
7.  Not sure how much of Legalines Civ Pro I'm going to do.  It's basically Section VII on, so almost 200 pages.  I want to make sure I hit all the black letter law, though.  I'll at least skim it and focus on the law, maybe not so much the cases. 

8.  If you don't want to go through all that, either because of time or expense, like the syllabus says, you can use the Understanding Civil Procedure Book and go through chapters 8 thru 12. 

Happy hunting, guys.  Not too worried about anything that's not-graded, but close enough to crunchtime to start getting religion.  I know this comes too late to help for the practice test, but I feel pretty confident this will get me through the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment