Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wrapping up the First Semester

This will probably be my last post for a few weeks.  Taking the night off, but about to step into the buzz-saw.  Finals start on Tuesday. 

I should probably have studied over the Thanksgiving break and I did do some law in a flash cards.  However, I'm glad I took my son to Disney.  It is one of the few chances he gets to see his Arizona cousins.  Plus, I am trying to do this law school thing without him having to suffer for it. 

My sump pump died the other night, but thankfully I have two of them.  The other one, though, was already broken.  I was able to take parts from both units and put together one fully functioning unit.  I was going to pay a plumber to put in new ones, but I'll probably just do that myself.  Trouble is, we just had massive rains and the stores all sell out of sump pumps when that happens.  The plumbers are always swamped replacing sump pumps, too.  People don't test their sump pumps.  At least most people don't, including me.  They only find out they're broken when they need them and they don't work.

Anyway, I've got one functioning unit that should hold me over for the next few days until the stores get a few new ones in.  I was going to have a plumber replace them, but I think with any luck, I can replace the broken one in about an hour.  So, I'll probably tackle the project myself.  I'll buy two, though.  One spare for when the one I rigged eventually dies.  The thing looks a zillion years old and it's put together from two units that had each previously failed.

I'm glad that this semester is ending.  It's been a fantastic escape from reality.  I plan on finishing up my 1L year as a full-time student, regardless of what happens in the coming year.  However, in the Spring, I'm going to evaluate things and might change course.

If my grades are really good and I can keep my scholarship, I'll probably just continue to go full-time.  If I lose my scholarship, I may still go full-time if I can schedule all my classes two days a week.  (For instance, if I can get them all done on Tuesday and Thursday.)  If not, I may drop back to part-time.

That's a long ways off, though.  In the mean time I just need to be ready for exams.

I'm getting there.  Wish I had more time, but everybody else probably does, too.  Won't really know much until the grades come back.

2011 is coming to a close and I'm in much better shape than I was a year ago.  Not a great year, but better than 2010.  If I can make it past 2012, in 2013, a lot of installment debt (both personal and business) will be paid off.  2014, the same story.  By the time 2014 ends, the difference in monthly debt-service, alone, will be almost $4 grand.  Life will be a lot different then.

I also need to refocus on rebuilding my business.  This past semester has been a thoroughly enjoyable and much-needed escape from reality, but it's time to put my shoulder back to it and get this company back on track. 

So a lot of upside on the horizon.  More than ever, I'm sure that I need to continue to own my own business and continue to look for diversification opportunities, and to build my law practice over time.

So, lots of good things if I can just survive 2012.  The mayans say we're all done for in 2012, anyway.  However, 2013 is when things really start to change and by the end of 2014, if I can get through law school and retire all this debt, my life should be monumentally better than it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment