Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Feeling on top of it

Funny how 1L is as much psychological as it is academic.  Most of the time, I feel pretty good about things, but recently, I've had moments where I feel like I'm not where I should be.  Today, I feel pretty good.  Still have work to do, but I think I know what it needs to be.

Torts, LR&W, and Property, I understand and know where I need to go.  Civ Pro and Contracts have been less so, but the picture is getting increasingly clearer. 

Tonight is my night without Logan.  So, I'll have the whole night to work on schoolwork.  I have an outline due for a paper on LRW, but I'm about 1/3 finished with the whole thing.  I'll be able to knock out an outline pretty quickly.  Other than that, just reading assignments in Civ Pro and Torts and my work for the week is basically done.

I need to do a better job this weekend of working on my outlines.  Last weekend I didn't do much.  Fortunately, the workload wasn't that bad.  So, a day of effort on Sunday kept me current.

2 weeks from today, we'll be at the midpoint of the semester.  Halfway done.  We really have absorbed a lot of material.  In Torts, it's like the entire semester is a review.  Going through the E&E was totally worth it.  I just wish I had done that in some other classes.  Right now, I have the unenviable task of trying to go through them as the semester is progressing. 

Not that big of a deal, but time management is the real key to all this.

I also am longing for 2L year where I'll have more control over my schedule.  I don't care if I have to take Maritime and Admiralty Law, but I'm going to do everything I can to take all my classes two days a week.  If not, at the least, it doesn't look like 2Ls and 3Ls have many/any Friday classes.

Also, Logan will reach the halfway point of his football season this weekend.  I volunteered to help out a little bit when I wasn't busy, but other than the head coach, I'm the only coach who shows up on a regular basis.  The other guys want to be involved, but have job conflicts (they work rotating shift type jobs.)  Also, our main defensive coach (great guy, BTW), just had knee surgery.  I doubt he'll be able to do much with the team for a while.

So, I'm pretty much committed to being a coach for the team, which is something I really wanted to avoid.  However, in 3 more weeks, the season will be over and I can hunker down for the rest of the semester to open up a biggo can on the finals.

I really, really need to work on my outlines.

I have drill for the Navy here coming up.  I will be going in October and November.  I'm sure that's not going to be great, but serving in the military is such a large part of who I am, I feel like I should try and keep this going as long as possible.  It won't be so bad in 2L and 3L year when I have better control of my schedule.  So, I'll be reading in airports and doing what I can to stay current these next couple of months.  The December drill is right during finals.  I'll have to reschedule that for the Summer.

Of course, you're not supposed to be working during 1L year if you're a full-timer and I'm pushing it on that.  Navy reserve is technically work.  Coaching is taking up a chunk of time every week.  Plus, having to be at the biz every once in a while. 

I honestly don't think it's that hard to graduate from Law School.  What's hard is graduating with a good gpa.  However, ultimately, my first and most realistic goal is to hang out my shingle and practice family law or PI law here, locally, and neither of those really require you to have a good gpa. 

My hair was getting sorta shaggy and needed a cut.  So, I took out the clippers and then actually shaved my head bald.  I've done the clippers before, but this is the first time I've shaved it.  Until they come out with more effective hair-growth prescriptions, my hair doesn't look good, anyway.  Not sure the bald look is better, but I doubt it's worse.  It's easier to maintain, though.  I just don't have time for hair right now.

Finally, I had been eating badly and not-exercising enough these past two weeks.  Time to get back on the wagon.  Back to turkey bacon and oatmeal for breakfast.  No more potato chips and french fries.  I gotta take care of myself, both to prevent a heart attack in my 40s, and to keep my energy level up.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are tough days.  The first class isn't until 10:10, but it lasts until 4:50.

No comments:

Post a Comment