Sunday, September 11, 2011

Productive Weekend

Well, did no schoolwork on Saturday other than an exercise for Legal Research.  I was in the library a long time, but half that time I was watching the OSU/Toledo game or getting lunch.  Started reading sunday at noon.  At about 9:30, I called it quits.  I still have reading to do for Torts and Legal Writing and Research, but I think I can do all that during my downtime tomorrow.  I have a training class at 9:00 a.m, but nothing after that until 1:00.  That should be more than enough time to knock out all the rest of my reading for the week.

Which should also free me up to start working on my outlines.  Now, I know I've mentioned this before, but heyzeus marimba, there's a lot of books in law school.  I tried hauling all my books at once, once, and I had to use an Army large rucksack with frame to hold it all.  It was a chunk of books.

One of my classes has just one book.  The others have either 3 or 4.  Legal research and writing has a half dozen or more.  I also avoided buying any recommended books unless the prof was referring to them a lot.

I wish I could keep all these, but frankly, when the semester ends, I'll be selling back anything I don't have next semester.  These suckers are more than a grand, new.  If I can get back $400 or so, that's a pretty big chunk of change.

I am finding that I actually enjoy reading the cases.  I never really liked fiction very much.  I like finding out what happens in the real world.  These cases are like little novels.  Dude receives a painting from his Dad as a gift.  Dad dies.  Stepmom challenges the gift in court.

These are all important episodes in human interaction and I really enjoy finding out how the courts rule and why. 

Like most people, I used to get disgusted / outraged at some of the verdicts I'd hear coming out of cases.  Sometimes the popular media portrays the law as one huge, capricious bunch of freeloaders prospering off the efforts of good, decent people.

Even in the most eggregious cases, though, I'm finding that there was some sound logic behind the decision.  You don't always like the outcome, but the process remains relatively consistent.

Anyway, looking forward to putting some work into my outlines this week.  After this week, it'll be 4 weeks done, 11 to go to finals.  The semester will basically be a quarter done. 

I feel like I have a good handle on things, but working on the outlines will help me feel better.  We've really covered a lot of material.  Law school has a reputation of being a "drink from the fire hose" experience.

Still, so long as I stay current with the reading and can devote some time every week to my outlines, I think everything will be fine.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment