Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Couple interesting developments today...

Met briefly with my faculty advisor because his specialty is Intellectual Property.  I wanted to hear what he had to say vis a vis working in IT IP, but without being Patent Bar qualified.

He basically confirmed what I had been hoping:  that they hire a lot of IP lawyers in the Bay Area and that they specifically look for people with computer backgrounds for the jobs.

He did advise getting qualified to sit for the patent bar, though.  The general gist being that some firms may be big enough that you work just on IT related IP stuff, but midsized firms and smaller probably want somebody who can be an IP generalist.  He even mentioned a prior student who had gone to MIT for undergrad and ended up doing copyright work.

I mentioned my off-the wall idea of taking the required undergrad courses.  He didn't think that was off the wall at all. 

I could qualify to sit for the patent bar under Category B, Option Two.  Because I already have 8 credit hours in Chemistry, all I would need is another 24 hours in biology, botany, microbiology, or molecular biology. 

Getting those credits probably won't be that tough, but it'll be tough to do while I'm in law school. 

I'll just have to wait and see.  I could also just see if I could get on in IT IP and if I don't, then so be it.  Personally, the idea of working on copyright and trademark stuff doesn't interest me at all.

The other interesting thing is that I was talking to one of my classmates, and she's attending on full-ride because she applied with a 4.0 and 173 LSAT.  I heard once that you can never plan on being #1 in your class because there will always be a few inexplicably mutant intellects in there.  I've heard this person's contributions to class and she is going to wail, I think.

Anyway, at this point, I'm still somewhat interested in learning more about securities law and IP law (related to IT.)  Those are two careers I'd probably make major life changes for.  If I stay here, unless I were to luck into some major offer with a local firm, I'm still thinking family or PI.

Today was one intense day.  I had to go to Lexis training at 9:00, then class until lunch.  We had a mandatory career services function through lunch.  Then, classes until 4:50.  Then, I worked in the Library until about 7:30.

I still have a little bit of reading to do tonight, but am just taking a little downtime to relax, first.

I had originally hoped to work out a little bit today, but I think I'm just going to turn in early. 

Still, I'm current with my reading and assignments.  However, the work involved in this is a lot more than I had anticipated.  I really underestimated how much work would be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment