Sunday, August 28, 2011

Enough Studying for One Day

I got all my assignments done in 3 of my classes.  I just have one class tomorrow and I don't have the boy.  So, I will be more than ready for my long day of classes on Tuesday.

I wasn't particularly good about reading this weekend.  I didn't do anything on Saturday and I ended up not-starting today until almost noon.

Went to watch my son's baseball tryout and that took 3 hours.  I did take one of my case books with me, though, and was able to do all my required reading while I sat around and watched.

I think parts of this will get easier as the semester keeps going.  I'm still adjusting to being a full-time student.  It's been a long time.  Like maybe more than 20 years. 

Once I get into a good rhythm with this, that'll help.

There are some things I need to do in addition to the required stuff, though.  Mostly, I need to get cracking on my outlines.  It's not that I'm behind on that.  I haven't even started my second week.  It's just that I know that is hanging over me.

Also, Civ Pro is much more interesting than the E&E I ended up quitting.  Thing is, it's sort of divided into two sections.  There's pleading, which is what we're doing in school right now.  Then, there's all the jurisdictional / venue stuff, which I was reading in the E&E, but which we won't cover until next semester.

I saw that Toledo sort of teaches them in the opposite order than most places.  We do the pleading stuff, first. 

The E&E is arranged the other way around.  So, when next semester starts, I'll have a leg up.

Speaking of E&Es, I should have been more diligent about finishing them all up.  The Civ Pro one was like pulling teeth, though.  God, what dry dreck.

I did finish the torts E&E and it's awesome.  I'm already familiar with everything we're covering in class.  I'm sure there'll be some little spins here and there, but it's great to basically be doing the material for the second time.

Thing is, I don't see how I'll have time to do any additional reading on top of what I'm already doing.  Though, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.  I think it'd help a lot.

It's only 9:30, and I could probably finish up the assignments for the last of my non-lab classes, but I only have class for an hour and a half tomorrow, with the rest of the day wide-open and no kid for the day.  I can wrap up the rest of my work easily.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.  A 4 month marathon.  So, I'm trying to include a lot of fitness activities and some relaxing downtime (whenever practical and possible.)  For instance, yesterday, I didn't get much done because I hung out with my son all morning and ended up going to his tryout, then seeing a movie with my brother later in the day.  It was an all-fun, no-law day.

I think for sporting events, especially baseball (which he does a lot of because he plays travel ball), I need to bring a book, though.  Losing a few hours of study-time is not a luxury I can really afford.

It didn't bite me this weekend, but they're still taking it easy on us before ratcheting things up.

I'm still hoping I can do all this by making productive use of the vast swaths of time that I previously just flat-out wasted.  It is already impacting the amount of time I spend with my boy, though.  Nothing too major and I don't think he notices it, but I do.

So, ready for the week.  Will probably have all my reading done by noon tomorrow and will probably have all my assignments done by the evening.

That just leaves one day's worth of torts to read, but that never really takes long.

I also wonder if doing the entire week's reading, as I did this week and last, is a good idea, because some of these cases get stale if I read them on Sunday and they don't go over them until Thursday.  Figuring all that out will be part of the fine-tuning process.

So, week 2 starts and I'm still current with all the work.

One week at a time, one task at a time.  Though to execute my law school strategy, I am going to need to create a little more time for a few dark arts projects.  (The E&Es are one of them.)


No comments:

Post a Comment