Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Okay, that was AWESOME!!!

Really, really enjoyed my first day of class. Really enjoyed the lectures, etc.  I think this semester is going to fly by.

A couple of things dawned on me today.

First, prior to classes starting, I was hoping to do well on the exams by learning black-letter-law better than my classmates.

Trouble is, black-letter-law isn't that hard to learn.  Really. 

So, I don't think that's going to be much of a differentiator.

Second, the kids all sure do seem smart.  Maybe they're not.  Maybe I'm reading a lot into this.  However, generally speaking, everybody in law school did pretty well in undergrad and takes tests well. 

I do have some other things to use and fall back on. 

For one, I'm pretty sure not many of the other students boned up on dark arts before they started class.  I have a leg up there, for sure. 

The other thing that occurred to me is that everybody is going to be taught the black-letter-law, but that doesn't mean they'll write well about it. 

Anyway, I think I'm really, really going to like law school.

Though this is a stretch, I'm entertaining a stretch-goal of trying to work for the CFTC.  That would be my dream job in the law. 

Okay, the not-so-awesome parts.

1.  Parking sucks.  They advised us that if you don't get a parking spot before 9:00 (even though my earliest class is at 10:10), then there will be drama.

2.  Leaving was tight, too.  On Tuesdays, I need to haul ass across town so I can get Logan and get him to football practice.  Try as I might, I ended up bringing him there about 10 minutes late.  I can shave the drive time just a tad by parking more strategically, but generally speaking, it's just gonna be hard to do.

3.  Lunch?  Went to the grill at the student union and it took 40 minutes to get a cheeseburger.  When I got my food, I asked the girl, "Is it always like this?"  She said, "Yeah, pretty much".  So, I can't do that again.  I may just have to try to grab a bag of chips to knock off the hunger and do the best I can.  I seldom buy a good lunch from a nutritional standpoint.  Eating a bag of chips is still bad for me, but less bad than a cheeseburger and fries.

My son's football team asked for volunteers to help coach.  I told them I'll help when I can.  As much as I don't want it to, this is impacting my time with my son.  Not so much the quality stuff.  I can find time for that.  It's just the little slack time I used to spend with him.

Oh well.  Nobody said this would be easy or without sacrifice. 

Work?  Not too badly impacted.  I'll only be able to come to work for a few minutes, first thing in the morning, on Tuesday and Thursday, but will be in the office for a good chunk of the day on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 

Also, the workload during the week isn't so bad, but I really need to use the weekends to keep up. 

It's not going to be a cakewalk by any means, but I feel pretty good about things so far. 

Oh, and an ego boost today.  A girl asked if I wanted to study with her.  I tried very hard not to raise my hand in class, but did, several times when the prof was waiting for somebody to answer.  If anybody else had their hand up, I kept mine down.  Don't want people to think I'm a gunner.

However, I may want potential letters of recommendation.  I want to make an impression on the profs. 

Now, let's hope these kids aren't all as smart as they seem.  Right now, they sure all seem pretty smart and with-it.

No comments:

Post a Comment